Food Technology and Nutrition Center of Excellence
Natural active compounds are used in modern medicine either directly isolated from plants or synthetically modified. Extracts of medicinal plants or natural products such as functional foods present an alternative to conventional drugs in the prevention and treatment of diseases. However, the underlying intrinsic biochemical mechanisms for these substances remain unclear in many cases. Our work is therefore focused on unravelling basic functions of selected phytochemicals and to provide a basis for the design and development of functional food, feed and natural pharmaceuticals.
- Analytical characterization of food and feed products and raw materials.
- Analysis of bioactive compounds.
- Development and application of suitable in-vitro and in-vivo test systems (biomolecular, biochemical, biophysical and cell-biological) to investigate the effects of food and feed products and their ingredients on a cellular and molecular level.
- Design and development of novel, innovative and functional food and feed products, as well as food supplements.
- Stabilization of functional food ingredients and microorganisms and their application in food and feed products.
- Design and implementation of clinical studies in collaboration with partner institutes.